26 July 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

When my mom was here back in June when Reid was born (8 weeks ago - wowsers!), she made several batches of these homemade granola bars. The reason she had to make several batches is because we ate those suckers like they were going out of style. They are SO GOOD. And super easy to make. Here's how!

Homemade Granola Bars

1 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. peanut butter (I like to use crunchy, because then you get those extra bits of peanut, great for texture!)
1/2 c. light corn syrup (I had no idea "light" corn syrup existed...I just used regular)
1/2 c. margarine
2 t. vanilla
3 c. oatmeal

And the optional ingredients to mix it up for variety:
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. raisins
1/3 c. wheat germ
2 T. sesame seeds
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. Craisins
1/2 c. apricots, chopped

I hucked all of these ingredients into my trusty KitchenAid mixer and let 'er rip. Once it was mixed thoroughly, I pressed it into my 9x13 Pampered Chef pan.

Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes. I did mine for 23 minutes and I don't think that was enough as it was still a bit gooey. But I cut it into squares anyway and chucked it in the fridge and that firmed everything right on up.

These are really delicious and like I said, easy!

6 comments:

  1. hmm...seems to be a lot of hucking and chucking involved in this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you've inspired me to post my favorite granola bar recipe! Watch for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erica. A lot of hucking and chucking seems to be going on in your kitchen Leah. It was fun reading your recipe but I think it might be even more fun watching you make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try and make these for camping this weekend! Thanks Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:35 PM

    This sounds like the recipe I have made. If it's from your mom I am going to go ahead and say it's from my church cookbook! We love these too. They are great for the girls to take to school for their "recess" snack. Even though they're too old for recess, you're never too old for recess snack.....Case in point - I'm 43 and still take recess snack. And try and hide it from my students. Do you know that this coming fall I have two high school aged children??? Grade 9 and 12! What??!! I wish they were still little like babies and that I could do it all over again,,,,,

    love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a "5 ingredient" recipe that I love (and always add extra ingredients). I will be posting it on my blog soon!

    ReplyDelete

26 July 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

When my mom was here back in June when Reid was born (8 weeks ago - wowsers!), she made several batches of these homemade granola bars. The reason she had to make several batches is because we ate those suckers like they were going out of style. They are SO GOOD. And super easy to make. Here's how!

Homemade Granola Bars

1 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. peanut butter (I like to use crunchy, because then you get those extra bits of peanut, great for texture!)
1/2 c. light corn syrup (I had no idea "light" corn syrup existed...I just used regular)
1/2 c. margarine
2 t. vanilla
3 c. oatmeal

And the optional ingredients to mix it up for variety:
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. raisins
1/3 c. wheat germ
2 T. sesame seeds
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. Craisins
1/2 c. apricots, chopped

I hucked all of these ingredients into my trusty KitchenAid mixer and let 'er rip. Once it was mixed thoroughly, I pressed it into my 9x13 Pampered Chef pan.

Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes. I did mine for 23 minutes and I don't think that was enough as it was still a bit gooey. But I cut it into squares anyway and chucked it in the fridge and that firmed everything right on up.

These are really delicious and like I said, easy!

6 comments:

  1. hmm...seems to be a lot of hucking and chucking involved in this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you've inspired me to post my favorite granola bar recipe! Watch for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erica. A lot of hucking and chucking seems to be going on in your kitchen Leah. It was fun reading your recipe but I think it might be even more fun watching you make these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try and make these for camping this weekend! Thanks Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:35 PM

    This sounds like the recipe I have made. If it's from your mom I am going to go ahead and say it's from my church cookbook! We love these too. They are great for the girls to take to school for their "recess" snack. Even though they're too old for recess, you're never too old for recess snack.....Case in point - I'm 43 and still take recess snack. And try and hide it from my students. Do you know that this coming fall I have two high school aged children??? Grade 9 and 12! What??!! I wish they were still little like babies and that I could do it all over again,,,,,

    love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a "5 ingredient" recipe that I love (and always add extra ingredients). I will be posting it on my blog soon!

    ReplyDelete