16 June 2010

being joyful

Yes, I am still alive. I will not be surprised if nobody comments on this blog post - I can't imagine anyone still checks it! I guess I felt I didn't have anything to say, although that isn't true.

My last posting was just after Christmas, and as I write this, it is June and my husband is cleaning up the supper dishes. Don't get too jealous, ladies - this doesn't happen often! But I always take what I can get.

A lot has happened in the last 6 months. The biggest piece of news is that Josh and I bought a house! We moved in April and have been loving it ever since. We painted almost every room and Josh has proved himself to be quite adept at the home reno's. Not that we've done much, but just some basic improvements. We have a great backyard with a fire pit and a clothes line to let our laundry dry in the sun (when it shines - it IS Nova Scotia, after all).



The process of buying a house has been quite the eye opener, but it feels really grown up and mature of us to have taken this step! We are now responsible for our home and the yard and it's good for us! It also brings some confused feelings for me. Buying a home here in Nova Scotia feels very permanent for me - like Josh and I will be staying here for quite a while. I don't want to live in the world of "one day we'll....". I want to be joyful where I am, and not wish too deeply for Manitoba and my family. I know that maybe one day we will return there, and right now that makes my heart leap with pleasure. But I also know that as of today, I am living in Nova Scotia. I must be joyful and happy. I am, most of the time. But sometimes when I'm baking - and I'm not sure why this only happens when I'm baking - I get overwhelmed with longing for the prairie and coffee at mom's and going to the Bargain Store with my sister. Everyday is different and everyday is a new challenge. But I always strive to remain joyful.

I also started at a new job in January. I had been working at Thyme Maternity, but wasn't loving it there. So in January I started working as a nanny for a family in Halifax. I look after 2 little girls (1 & 2 years old), who are pretty great. They treat me very well, but I don't love it. I actually have a job interview next week for a job in the Excel Childcare program, which is a before/after school program run by the Halifax Regional School Board. This would allow me to get back into the school setting, which is something I miss and I would be delighted to get my foot in the door. So I am really hoping that the interview goes well on Monday and I can be happy at my job.

Josh and I have found a church that we like and have even started going to a small group. We have met several married couples there who have been married about the same length as Josh and I, and we are encouraged by that! They are already a pretty close-knit group, so that's always a bit difficult to wriggle your way into! But I hope that one day we can be one of "them" and have some great friends to socialize with.



My parents came to visit just 2 weeks ago, at the beginning of June. We had a fabulous, rainy weekend in PEI - driving around and eating lobster. I am so blessed to have parents who are willing, able and excited to hop onto the plane and wing their way East!



I am also excited about making my way to Killarney at the end of July. My proposed travel dates are July 30-August 8. Josh will be staying in Nova Scotia, which is sad, but I'm very grateful for the opportunity to get my home fix, even though I'll miss him :(

Anyway, I hope that I have updated you on my life sufficiently. I apologize for my lack of communication these last 6 months, and I don't expect anyone to keep checking this thing for a new post. No hard feelings.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Oh my! I can't believe you think no one checks your blog! It's still on my favorites and I check it all the time, just in case. I don't facebook, so I have to amuse myself somehow! Very happy to have an update regarding marriage, work, home, travels, etc. I like the sound of your positive attitude. Hope things go well with your interview. We will do our best to make sure we are in Killarney some time during your stay.
    love,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course i still check your blog! Thanks for the update! Good luck on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillary6:15 PM

    I still check too!
    And, even though my blog is dead, I read blogs regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:24 AM

    i still check it OFTEN!
    and how i missed the fix!

    i will be thinking of you when you're having your job-interview and i'm hoping that you'll be able to go back to school!!! you seemed to be very happy with it back in manitoba...
    and the home fix: i always think of "home" when i'm cleaning. seriously. esp. the bathroom, because that's been my "duty" back then...it will get better and once you're socialed more it' going to feel like a new home...

    miss you so very much!
    it's been two years...

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes - we all still check! Thanks for the words and the photos and the general update!
    Way to have a good attitude Leah - I know it can be so hard, especially when you don't always continually love your life. Good luck with the interview! Send some of those my way - there are no jobs to be had for me (yet). Also glad to hear the church/care group news! Just wear them down with friendship - that is my plan with our group - and you'll be "in" in no time!
    Lots of love to you & Josh...can't wait to see you both in Oct!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Hi sweets... oh you bet we check! I think I can speak for your faithful friends.. we love you and miss you, your words and your photos. thanks of the update. You are not lonely alone! We that have moved from our 'homes' have all gone through it and like Leslie says even cleaning the toilet can make you homesick!
    Ownard and upward with the church group, your friendship and love will have them calling you up in no time!
    I've got the dates recorded and I sure hope to see you in KLY and Julie too! Can't wait. My sisters don't know yet of my plans to visit, won't they be surprised! hehe
    All the best with that job interview. Loving you both, ab

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:11 PM

    Hi Leah.....so I guess everyone has been waiting eh? Good for you to resurrect the blog! Sure hope you can continue on a semi regular fashion - might be good for you to be reconnected like this. And you know it.....we miss you too, but am proud of you. I agree, never mind 'one day'...be happy and joyful today. I hear the Navel ships are in Halifax this weekend, don't forget to check them out. Thanks again for a marvellous time together a few weeks ago...did you post that pic of us, because I was standing in a dorky fashion (Hi Hillary)? Love you to bits, can't wait to see you in July and we are sure going to miss Josh.
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete

16 June 2010

being joyful

Yes, I am still alive. I will not be surprised if nobody comments on this blog post - I can't imagine anyone still checks it! I guess I felt I didn't have anything to say, although that isn't true.

My last posting was just after Christmas, and as I write this, it is June and my husband is cleaning up the supper dishes. Don't get too jealous, ladies - this doesn't happen often! But I always take what I can get.

A lot has happened in the last 6 months. The biggest piece of news is that Josh and I bought a house! We moved in April and have been loving it ever since. We painted almost every room and Josh has proved himself to be quite adept at the home reno's. Not that we've done much, but just some basic improvements. We have a great backyard with a fire pit and a clothes line to let our laundry dry in the sun (when it shines - it IS Nova Scotia, after all).



The process of buying a house has been quite the eye opener, but it feels really grown up and mature of us to have taken this step! We are now responsible for our home and the yard and it's good for us! It also brings some confused feelings for me. Buying a home here in Nova Scotia feels very permanent for me - like Josh and I will be staying here for quite a while. I don't want to live in the world of "one day we'll....". I want to be joyful where I am, and not wish too deeply for Manitoba and my family. I know that maybe one day we will return there, and right now that makes my heart leap with pleasure. But I also know that as of today, I am living in Nova Scotia. I must be joyful and happy. I am, most of the time. But sometimes when I'm baking - and I'm not sure why this only happens when I'm baking - I get overwhelmed with longing for the prairie and coffee at mom's and going to the Bargain Store with my sister. Everyday is different and everyday is a new challenge. But I always strive to remain joyful.

I also started at a new job in January. I had been working at Thyme Maternity, but wasn't loving it there. So in January I started working as a nanny for a family in Halifax. I look after 2 little girls (1 & 2 years old), who are pretty great. They treat me very well, but I don't love it. I actually have a job interview next week for a job in the Excel Childcare program, which is a before/after school program run by the Halifax Regional School Board. This would allow me to get back into the school setting, which is something I miss and I would be delighted to get my foot in the door. So I am really hoping that the interview goes well on Monday and I can be happy at my job.

Josh and I have found a church that we like and have even started going to a small group. We have met several married couples there who have been married about the same length as Josh and I, and we are encouraged by that! They are already a pretty close-knit group, so that's always a bit difficult to wriggle your way into! But I hope that one day we can be one of "them" and have some great friends to socialize with.



My parents came to visit just 2 weeks ago, at the beginning of June. We had a fabulous, rainy weekend in PEI - driving around and eating lobster. I am so blessed to have parents who are willing, able and excited to hop onto the plane and wing their way East!



I am also excited about making my way to Killarney at the end of July. My proposed travel dates are July 30-August 8. Josh will be staying in Nova Scotia, which is sad, but I'm very grateful for the opportunity to get my home fix, even though I'll miss him :(

Anyway, I hope that I have updated you on my life sufficiently. I apologize for my lack of communication these last 6 months, and I don't expect anyone to keep checking this thing for a new post. No hard feelings.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Oh my! I can't believe you think no one checks your blog! It's still on my favorites and I check it all the time, just in case. I don't facebook, so I have to amuse myself somehow! Very happy to have an update regarding marriage, work, home, travels, etc. I like the sound of your positive attitude. Hope things go well with your interview. We will do our best to make sure we are in Killarney some time during your stay.
    love,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course i still check your blog! Thanks for the update! Good luck on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillary6:15 PM

    I still check too!
    And, even though my blog is dead, I read blogs regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:24 AM

    i still check it OFTEN!
    and how i missed the fix!

    i will be thinking of you when you're having your job-interview and i'm hoping that you'll be able to go back to school!!! you seemed to be very happy with it back in manitoba...
    and the home fix: i always think of "home" when i'm cleaning. seriously. esp. the bathroom, because that's been my "duty" back then...it will get better and once you're socialed more it' going to feel like a new home...

    miss you so very much!
    it's been two years...

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes - we all still check! Thanks for the words and the photos and the general update!
    Way to have a good attitude Leah - I know it can be so hard, especially when you don't always continually love your life. Good luck with the interview! Send some of those my way - there are no jobs to be had for me (yet). Also glad to hear the church/care group news! Just wear them down with friendship - that is my plan with our group - and you'll be "in" in no time!
    Lots of love to you & Josh...can't wait to see you both in Oct!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Hi sweets... oh you bet we check! I think I can speak for your faithful friends.. we love you and miss you, your words and your photos. thanks of the update. You are not lonely alone! We that have moved from our 'homes' have all gone through it and like Leslie says even cleaning the toilet can make you homesick!
    Ownard and upward with the church group, your friendship and love will have them calling you up in no time!
    I've got the dates recorded and I sure hope to see you in KLY and Julie too! Can't wait. My sisters don't know yet of my plans to visit, won't they be surprised! hehe
    All the best with that job interview. Loving you both, ab

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:11 PM

    Hi Leah.....so I guess everyone has been waiting eh? Good for you to resurrect the blog! Sure hope you can continue on a semi regular fashion - might be good for you to be reconnected like this. And you know it.....we miss you too, but am proud of you. I agree, never mind 'one day'...be happy and joyful today. I hear the Navel ships are in Halifax this weekend, don't forget to check them out. Thanks again for a marvellous time together a few weeks ago...did you post that pic of us, because I was standing in a dorky fashion (Hi Hillary)? Love you to bits, can't wait to see you in July and we are sure going to miss Josh.
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete