23 September 2011

Mexican Lasagna

I made this when Josh and I had friends over for Sunday lunch last weekend. It was a big hit and I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Because it requires quite a bit of prep, it probably doesn't make my weeknight supper meal rotation, but it would be great to take to a potluck or when you're cooking for a crowd. 

Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients:
(I tweaked the amounts a bit on this recipe to fit my 9x13 Pampered Chef stoneware pan...whoever made this recipe originally must have had a giant pan to fit all of this in!)

2 cups unprepared rice
  2-3 cups chicken broth/stock
4 large tomaotes, diced
1 onion, diced
2-3 T minced garlic
butter
taco seasoning (or chili powder, paprika & cumin) to taste
1 can black beans
1-2 lbs ground beef
1 jar Salsa Verde ("green" salsa - I found it in with the other salsas in the grocery store)
flour tortillas (I used 6 in total)
2-3 cups shredded cheese
1 jar/can Enchilada sauce
2 cans corn, drained
Sour cream for garnish

Make it like this:

1. Start by preparing your rice with the chicken stock/broth. 

2. Chop up tomatoes, onion and garlic. Saute in butter. Add 1 -2 T of taco seasoning (or as much as you prefer). Stir.

3. Add black beans. No need to drain. 

4. Add cooked rice.

5. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef. Add more taco seasoning to taste. Add about 1/4 c. of water to make the taco beef.

6. In your 9x13: spread jar of salsa verde on bottom of dish. Layer flour tortillas on top. Overlapping is expected. 

7. Divide rice/tomato/bean mixture in half. Spread one half of rice mixture over tortillas. Spread half of cheese over rice. 

8. Layer more tortillas over the cheese. Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and spread it evenly. 

9. Add layer of ground beef. Add corn (drained) on top of beef. Then add remaining rice on top of the corn. Top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle the top with some taco seasoning or chili powder. 

10. Bake at 375* for 25-35 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. 

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. sounds good Leah, I think I will actually try this one out! Nice work on the entertaining too.

    ReplyDelete

23 September 2011

Mexican Lasagna

I made this when Josh and I had friends over for Sunday lunch last weekend. It was a big hit and I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Because it requires quite a bit of prep, it probably doesn't make my weeknight supper meal rotation, but it would be great to take to a potluck or when you're cooking for a crowd. 

Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients:
(I tweaked the amounts a bit on this recipe to fit my 9x13 Pampered Chef stoneware pan...whoever made this recipe originally must have had a giant pan to fit all of this in!)

2 cups unprepared rice
  2-3 cups chicken broth/stock
4 large tomaotes, diced
1 onion, diced
2-3 T minced garlic
butter
taco seasoning (or chili powder, paprika & cumin) to taste
1 can black beans
1-2 lbs ground beef
1 jar Salsa Verde ("green" salsa - I found it in with the other salsas in the grocery store)
flour tortillas (I used 6 in total)
2-3 cups shredded cheese
1 jar/can Enchilada sauce
2 cans corn, drained
Sour cream for garnish

Make it like this:

1. Start by preparing your rice with the chicken stock/broth. 

2. Chop up tomatoes, onion and garlic. Saute in butter. Add 1 -2 T of taco seasoning (or as much as you prefer). Stir.

3. Add black beans. No need to drain. 

4. Add cooked rice.

5. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef. Add more taco seasoning to taste. Add about 1/4 c. of water to make the taco beef.

6. In your 9x13: spread jar of salsa verde on bottom of dish. Layer flour tortillas on top. Overlapping is expected. 

7. Divide rice/tomato/bean mixture in half. Spread one half of rice mixture over tortillas. Spread half of cheese over rice. 

8. Layer more tortillas over the cheese. Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and spread it evenly. 

9. Add layer of ground beef. Add corn (drained) on top of beef. Then add remaining rice on top of the corn. Top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle the top with some taco seasoning or chili powder. 

10. Bake at 375* for 25-35 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. 

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. sounds good Leah, I think I will actually try this one out! Nice work on the entertaining too.

    ReplyDelete