06 November 2012

Split Pea Soup

Yesterday I made Split Pea Soup and it was absolutely divine. Here's how.

Split Pea Soup

2 T oil
1 diced onion
2 t minced garlic
1 package split green peas, rinsed
2 carrots, chopped
8 cups chicken stock
1 ham hock (I did not have a hock, but I had some ham in the freezer, so I just chopped some and added it)

Make it like this:
Saute onion and garlic in the oil, about 5 minutes.

Add chicken stock, carrots, ham and peas. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, simmer for about 2 hours. Peas should be soft and "mushy" then. Add salt and pepper to taste. If using a ham hock, remove now!

If it's too thick, add some hot water (or more stock).

It's that easy and oh so delicious.

Reid and his trick or treat bag from Auntie Amy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:45 PM

    Hi Leah, you inspired me to make split pea soup! I do love it! Anyway it was deewishus and I even had a hamhock to add. Tell Josh the Christmas Cake is made...hope he likes it (and it's ok if he doesn't!)
    love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete

06 November 2012

Split Pea Soup

Yesterday I made Split Pea Soup and it was absolutely divine. Here's how.

Split Pea Soup

2 T oil
1 diced onion
2 t minced garlic
1 package split green peas, rinsed
2 carrots, chopped
8 cups chicken stock
1 ham hock (I did not have a hock, but I had some ham in the freezer, so I just chopped some and added it)

Make it like this:
Saute onion and garlic in the oil, about 5 minutes.

Add chicken stock, carrots, ham and peas. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, simmer for about 2 hours. Peas should be soft and "mushy" then. Add salt and pepper to taste. If using a ham hock, remove now!

If it's too thick, add some hot water (or more stock).

It's that easy and oh so delicious.

Reid and his trick or treat bag from Auntie Amy.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:45 PM

    Hi Leah, you inspired me to make split pea soup! I do love it! Anyway it was deewishus and I even had a hamhock to add. Tell Josh the Christmas Cake is made...hope he likes it (and it's ok if he doesn't!)
    love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete