03 August 2008
ETA: one week
In one week I will be boarding the plane in Belfast, and touching down in Canada. My greatest fear is missing my connecting flight to Winnipeg, and having my homecoming be pushed back. (My other greatest fear about flying is not being able to hear the pilot on the speaker system. Sometimes they have really important things to say. And I really don't want to miss them.)
I have started packing a little bit, going through dresser drawers, throwing things away, tucking necklaces and earrings into socks, and then into shoes. I love this feeling of clearing out, getting rid of the old, moving forward.
I have butterflies in my stomach today. Fear of leaving this comfortable place, the people I've met, the friends I've connected with, the family I live with, the girls who make me laugh (and sometimes scream). But I also have overwhelming joy about coming home, about seeing my family and my friends, about re-connecting with those people, about seeing my pregnant sister-in-law, about planning my sister's wedding, about meeting the new little baby cousins, Lexie and Sage. Excitement about going out for ice cream with the family, getting some normal summer weather for a few weeks (as opposed to grey skies and rain), moving into Amy's house once she and Donny get married, throwing dinner parties (very small ones, as there are only 4 chairs in Amy's house!), buying new clothes, finding a new job. There is fear in those things as well, but it's a good fear.
I am coming home a different woman. I have learned and experienced much this year. I have read and understood, re-read and been enlightened. I went to the gym and sweat a lot and a new body emerged (oh yes, I'm quite hot). I am calling this year my "Irish Independence", for that is what it was. I became myself and loved it. There is still growing left to do, and I'm excited to move on from here, see what's next, see what else God has to teach me.
I have started packing a little bit, going through dresser drawers, throwing things away, tucking necklaces and earrings into socks, and then into shoes. I love this feeling of clearing out, getting rid of the old, moving forward.
I have butterflies in my stomach today. Fear of leaving this comfortable place, the people I've met, the friends I've connected with, the family I live with, the girls who make me laugh (and sometimes scream). But I also have overwhelming joy about coming home, about seeing my family and my friends, about re-connecting with those people, about seeing my pregnant sister-in-law, about planning my sister's wedding, about meeting the new little baby cousins, Lexie and Sage. Excitement about going out for ice cream with the family, getting some normal summer weather for a few weeks (as opposed to grey skies and rain), moving into Amy's house once she and Donny get married, throwing dinner parties (very small ones, as there are only 4 chairs in Amy's house!), buying new clothes, finding a new job. There is fear in those things as well, but it's a good fear.
I am coming home a different woman. I have learned and experienced much this year. I have read and understood, re-read and been enlightened. I went to the gym and sweat a lot and a new body emerged (oh yes, I'm quite hot). I am calling this year my "Irish Independence", for that is what it was. I became myself and loved it. There is still growing left to do, and I'm excited to move on from here, see what's next, see what else God has to teach me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
03 August 2008
ETA: one week
In one week I will be boarding the plane in Belfast, and touching down in Canada. My greatest fear is missing my connecting flight to Winnipeg, and having my homecoming be pushed back. (My other greatest fear about flying is not being able to hear the pilot on the speaker system. Sometimes they have really important things to say. And I really don't want to miss them.)
I have started packing a little bit, going through dresser drawers, throwing things away, tucking necklaces and earrings into socks, and then into shoes. I love this feeling of clearing out, getting rid of the old, moving forward.
I have butterflies in my stomach today. Fear of leaving this comfortable place, the people I've met, the friends I've connected with, the family I live with, the girls who make me laugh (and sometimes scream). But I also have overwhelming joy about coming home, about seeing my family and my friends, about re-connecting with those people, about seeing my pregnant sister-in-law, about planning my sister's wedding, about meeting the new little baby cousins, Lexie and Sage. Excitement about going out for ice cream with the family, getting some normal summer weather for a few weeks (as opposed to grey skies and rain), moving into Amy's house once she and Donny get married, throwing dinner parties (very small ones, as there are only 4 chairs in Amy's house!), buying new clothes, finding a new job. There is fear in those things as well, but it's a good fear.
I am coming home a different woman. I have learned and experienced much this year. I have read and understood, re-read and been enlightened. I went to the gym and sweat a lot and a new body emerged (oh yes, I'm quite hot). I am calling this year my "Irish Independence", for that is what it was. I became myself and loved it. There is still growing left to do, and I'm excited to move on from here, see what's next, see what else God has to teach me.
I have started packing a little bit, going through dresser drawers, throwing things away, tucking necklaces and earrings into socks, and then into shoes. I love this feeling of clearing out, getting rid of the old, moving forward.
I have butterflies in my stomach today. Fear of leaving this comfortable place, the people I've met, the friends I've connected with, the family I live with, the girls who make me laugh (and sometimes scream). But I also have overwhelming joy about coming home, about seeing my family and my friends, about re-connecting with those people, about seeing my pregnant sister-in-law, about planning my sister's wedding, about meeting the new little baby cousins, Lexie and Sage. Excitement about going out for ice cream with the family, getting some normal summer weather for a few weeks (as opposed to grey skies and rain), moving into Amy's house once she and Donny get married, throwing dinner parties (very small ones, as there are only 4 chairs in Amy's house!), buying new clothes, finding a new job. There is fear in those things as well, but it's a good fear.
I am coming home a different woman. I have learned and experienced much this year. I have read and understood, re-read and been enlightened. I went to the gym and sweat a lot and a new body emerged (oh yes, I'm quite hot). I am calling this year my "Irish Independence", for that is what it was. I became myself and loved it. There is still growing left to do, and I'm excited to move on from here, see what's next, see what else God has to teach me.
6 comments:
Anonymous7:44 AMmy dearest leah!
ReplyDelete
what a great and honest post....i love it!
and all this fear is so well remembered:)
i´m trying to write you a longer mail this week, but you know...the babes:)
wishing you a great and much better farewell than the one you had in south africa!!
love you much!
leslie




Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


my dearest leah!
ReplyDeletewhat a great and honest post....i love it!
and all this fear is so well remembered:)
i´m trying to write you a longer mail this week, but you know...the babes:)
wishing you a great and much better farewell than the one you had in south africa!!
love you much!
leslie
such is life - the excitement and nervousness and coming and going. excellent post.
ReplyDeletealso great packing tip - jewellery in socks in shoes.
can't wait for three weeks!
love you.
hi hon, a beautiful post with honesty written all over it. I am so proud of you. Praying for you as you depart, that God will fill you with His great peace and joy, knowing that you are in the palm of His hand.
ReplyDeletemom
Hi Leah - beautifully written full of hope, peace and knowledge of who holds the future. I love it and can't wait to see you at the centre of the universe in 3 weeks!
ReplyDeleteSafe traveling mercies, love auntie barb
you leave tomorrow...enjoy your last day my friend.
ReplyDeletethinking of you.
hope the end was wonderful and that you could hear the pilot :) looking forward to seeing you soon!
ReplyDeletegeralyn